Thursday, November 6, 2008

THE FIGHT AGAINST PROP. 8

It has been a good week overall. This week , many of us took place in history be electing this countrys first ever African-American President Barrack Obama. This country definately can use CHANGE. As for our local propositions here in California, one that was being watched very closely throughout the country, unfortunately, Prop. 8, the proposition that would deny marriage rights to domestic partners, passed to, by a narrow margin. It is unfortunate because in a country where we have fought for many years for people to be treated equally, whether it be for the right to vote, the right to end segregation, the right for immigrants to maintain residency and jobs here, the fight against Affirmative Action, amongst other issues we can go on and keep bringing up, that by passing Prop. 8, we are saying that the rights of domestic partners to marry doesnt count. And that is just plain wrong. Exit polls also show that the majority of African-American and Latino voters had voted for the ban. But before we target just those two groups of minorities, let me point out other minority groups, though not as heavily reported, were also in favor of Prop. 8 as well. Unfortunately, this includes some of my fellow Asian-American brothers. And unfortunately, religious beliefs played a huge role too.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/11/05/state/n111547S31.DTL

It's too bad. One of my co-workers, a fellow Asian-American ( I too am Asian-American ) had asked me that if gay people want to be married so badly why don't they just move to a gay-friendly state like Massachusets ? It upset me. I had an answer to that but what I should have also said is that many a time ago, that was the same question many bigots here in this country said to about African-Americans, Hispanics, and, you guessed it, ASIANS !!!!! It upsets me because as a minority, sometimes, I feel that many minority groups, Asians too, are only concerned about their own well being here in this country and that we tend to forget that there were many before us who fought for our rights to be able to live here, to get a good education, to marry who we want

, to live in a de-segregated society. Yeah, I am aware that many of you will bring up religious values. However, I did grow up in a Catholic family, and though I have not frequented Church like I did during my days in Catholic school and dont consider myself a religious expert, not once do I EVER, EVER, recall attending a service where anyone was reprimanded because of their religious belief, their personal upbringing, their decision on whom we showed affection too. If anything, the one thing that was preached in these services, UNITY, LOVE FOR ALL....GOD LOVED EVERYONE. UNCONDITIONALLY. Since when did God ever choose sides? And as for homosexuality being a sin, there are many people, of all religions, who have done far worse than to choose whom a domestic partner should be, if that was ever a sin . Spousal abuse being one of many sins that were committed.

Fortunately, and I say this as a good thing, not all churches, and most of all, not everyone, here in California believe in taking away rights away from same sex couples. In fact, with religion playing a huge role in this measure, there was plenty of support against Prop. 8 from many churches throughout the state, which, I hope, proves that whether you believe in him or not, and I admit, I havent exactly entrusted my undivided faith in him, there is no bad God, just bad churches who are to inferior of how others choose to live. And while I'm at it, I am one who believes that if anything, God would have more pressing issues at hand, like sending our troops back home, getting everyone out of our current economic crisis, providing affordable healthcare for everyone.......
And as for the children, well, I dont remember being taught about any kind of marriage when I was in elementary school . And as for the field trip, well, last time I checked, the parent had to sign off a permission slip for their kids to leave school for the day.

This election was one of our states most costly ones, with each side contributing over $140,000,000 combined . What a waste !!!! A matter which shouldn't even be on a ballot in the first place. Who the f**k cares what others do and who they choose to love. Didn't God say " Love thy neighbor " .
To those of you who marched in West Hollywood last night, I salute you. I'm sorry I could not be with you because I work a night job, however, I did march with my NO On 8 sign during the Holloween Parade, as well as participate in much smaller, and I mean, smaller , scaled rally in Northridge, Westwood, Studio and Universal City. OK, when I say smaller rally, I mean delivering the message in the street corners or in front of the Federal Building in Westwood.

The fight is not over. It is nowhere finished. It will not be finished until we can figure out a way to ensure that everyone, domestic or non-domestic, shall have the right to marry whom they want, and hopefully, where they want, be it here in California or elsewhere.

In many posts I've read in message boards I've heard people say that they were ashamed of being a Californian because we have for the longest time been one of the largest melting pots for all to enjoy a quality life. I say don't be ashamed. I am a proud Californian and a proud American, a proud Asian-American of Filipino descent. And yes, while many around the country were shocked and in many ways upset with how this election turned out, no doubt hoping we here would set a precedent for others to follow ( As a native Californian I was hoping we would've been able too ) , we will continue to fight this until everyone has the right to say, " I Do ".

No comments: